5/7/10

Report:: Second eDialogue Course in Copenhagen well received

I always thought that being alone with two women was a bit intimidating. So one should think that placing me in a setting  alone with eight women for a whole day would be terrifying.  Well, I just had the pleasure of spending a full day in Copenhagen with no less than eight great female marketers from leading Danish companies. It was a great experience. Here is my brief report about the experience.

Luckily some time ago I had the pleasure of managing a department consisting of quite a few female employees. It taught me a thing or two about female behavior in the work place. Mostly positive things.
And the advanced email marketing / edialogue course organized by the Danish Marketing Association (Huset Markedsføring), was a very positive learning experience for me as a trainer. In fact, I would love to be training a group of women again anytime soon. But not for the reasons some male readers may think.

No one likes to be questioned.
You see, as a marketing trainer it can be highly annoying to be questioned. Especially if a trainer is tired or stressed or in a difficult mood, as I was at the eDialogue course. And I was indeed questioned during the latter part of the day. And rightfully so. You see, I was saying one thing while my documentation was showing something else. Most audiences would not comment. But this audience did. And although I found it a bit annoying at the time, I have to say I am glad they took a critical approach and took time out to point out my flaws (as Danes often do). 

Furious at myself for being so unprofessional, I left the Danish Marketing Association in a rather bad mood. Had it not been for my obligations to my family, clients and projects, I would most probably had gone somewhere to drown my sorrows. But of course I did not. I met with Viktoria - my wife - and talked to her about the experience. Seeing that she is a member of the more refined gender tribe, she of course was able to understand and suggest a course of action.

Now I am thankful to the attendees. Because the experience reminded me of my responsibilities as a trainer. I sometimes forget that, more often than not, delegates take whatever we speakers-trainers communicate to heart. I do the same. If I trust someone, I tend to believe every word that person tells me. And - what's worse :- ) - follow that persons directions.

Moreover, I must remember to thank the attendees for the great degree of participation before and after the course. It is very rare that 100% answer the pre-course survey. And even more rare to see every single person complete the evaluation-form. But these girls did :- )

The course was well received
Having received the result of the evaluation, I am happy to say that the course was well received by the attendees. A few numbers for you - all from a 5 point scale, where 5 is max, 1 is low:

Overall evaluation: 4,5

Competence: 4,8
Presentation: 4,4
Engagement: 4,6

The four content elements covered received from 3,9 to 4,4. And I have to agree on that range. One part of that course really needs a serious overhaul. Not that it is bad or unimportant. I can present it in a more clear and actionable way.

To the attendees: Thank you for a wonderful day. I learned quite a few things from you as well

PS: If you haven't been to Tivoli - you need to check this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do agree with all of the concepts you've presented in your
post. They're really convincing and will definitely work.

Still, the posts are very short for newbies. May just
you please extend them a bit from next time?
Thank you for the post.

Check out my weblog; Fay