3/1/10

Excessive customer service and the trouble of languages

In conjunction with my Email Marketing Masterclass in Sofia, Bulgaria, I stayed at the wonderful boutique hotel Crystal Palace in the center of Sofia.

This hotel does not offer a coffeemaker in the room. So one morning - when time did not allow to go down for breakfast - I decided to order some coffee from room service. The previous day I ordered a pot of coffee, and got 1,5 cup, which just wasn't enough. So I decided to order a thermo with 5 cups of coffee.

The service was very nice indeed. And the woman from room service arrived with the thermo only 5 minutes after I placed the order. And - to my surprise - carrying a tray with the thermo and 5 coffee cups. She delivered it with the following remark "and I remembered cream and sugar too"

This just goes to show how difficult languages really are. I cannot help wondering what she must have been thinking when she saw me alone in the room. But she probably thought I was just another weird foreigner with strange habits.

No comments: